Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Book Cover

There is a famous saying "Never judge a book by its cover." However, human nature says otherwise. The cover creates an impression about a book and plays an important role in its success.
The image presented needs to tantalize the reader, enticing them to scoop your book off the shelf for further inspection. If aren't drawn to the cover, the reader moves along and your wonderful story never gets the chance to be told. After spending thousands of hours crafting a beautiful tale, you lose a reader just because the cover didn't peak their interest. It's not fair.
Knowing this, I had some ideas in mind for my cover design. I needed a cover that spoke to my main two audiences: teens and fantasy geeks (like me). The image had to intrigue them enough that they felt compelled to pick the book up, flipping it over to read the synopsis on the back.
After a number of iterations with the graphic artist, I now have a cover. It's not quite what I imagined, but I am happy with it. I'm hopeful that the image of the character holding a book of magic alludes to the secrets that readers will discover within the pages.
Check out the cover and let me know what you think. If I get enough positive feedback, I may submit it for a cover contest once the book is released.
For more information about Jeffrey L Kohanek and his books, visit jeffreylkohanek.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment